Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Record retention requirements for paid tax preparers: what do you keep?

Golfer2016
Level 2

In years past, I would make scanned copies of everything client's gave me, all their 1099s/W2/worksheets etc.  This can be very time consuming.  What do tax preparers HAVE to keep for their files? I believe 8879 is a must.  But do we have to keep anything else?  With the busy season, I'm trying to lower the amount of time on the mundane tasks. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

TAXOH keeps what is required.  I keep copies of all 1099s, 1098s, and other official tax forms as well as anything of significance that the client provides.  If a notice shows up two years from know, odds are good that my client has no idea where that documentation is, but I do. 

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
IRonMaN
Level 15

TAXOH keeps what is required.  I keep copies of all 1099s, 1098s, and other official tax forms as well as anything of significance that the client provides.  If a notice shows up two years from know, odds are good that my client has no idea where that documentation is, but I do. 

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
Most of my clients have their tax return copy envelope that I gave them that has all of their documents and a copy of the return.  They have no idea what is inside the envelope but would have it if needed.
0 Cheers
Golfer2016
Level 2
that is understandable. You only make copies of what you need to, and give everything else to them. In case of an audit, they can just bring in their folder.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11
Like I said above just W2'S 1099R'S  and anything else that has withholding I keep also.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I give them a folder inside an envelope, but yet anytime they need a copy of their return for bank financing or some other romantic adventure, they call me for a copy because they can't find that envelope :cry::cry:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I added a clause to my engagement letter a few years ago that's cut down on this considerably:  "Since a copy is already provided to you upon completion of your tax return, there will be a $20 charge for additional tax return copies provided in either paper or electronic formats."  I think a few people actually read these things before they sign them 'cause it did cut down on the requests for copies.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I keep on thinking about adding that fee, but I haven't done it yet.  Maybe next year :smile::smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I'm pretty sure I've never actually charged it to anyone, but I reserve the right to!
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

I only keep W2'S,  1099R's and anything else that has withholding. 

0 Cheers