Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxable grant box 6 of 1099-G

jmbillmeyer
Level 2

I have a client who received a 1099-G box 6 taxable grants. The money was from the Natural Resources Conservation Services and was for a manure storage building. I've been researching to see if any of the grant would fall under the cost sharing exclusion or any other exclusions. I am coming up with the grant needing to be included in other income and then depreciate the farm building. Has anyone else had this situation and what did you do? thanks

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I do a bunch of farmers here in Tennessee.   You are correct.  Our state has many farmer grants..some for buildings, some for  equip... even some for pay of purchase of bulls.    grant income should show up on Line 7.   (it's kind  tricky to get the 1099-G  to end up there if you enter the 1099-G) sometimes I just do a drill down schedule on that line and manually tell what the grant is.

And you have to depreciate the asset at your cost... NOT your cost less the reimbursement/grant.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Never had one but your approach sounds logical. Not sure if it can be linked to a sch e.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

I do a bunch of farmers here in Tennessee.   You are correct.  Our state has many farmer grants..some for buildings, some for  equip... even some for pay of purchase of bulls.    grant income should show up on Line 7.   (it's kind  tricky to get the 1099-G  to end up there if you enter the 1099-G) sometimes I just do a drill down schedule on that line and manually tell what the grant is.

And you have to depreciate the asset at your cost... NOT your cost less the reimbursement/grant.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
verrnie725
Level 1

I am talking about Grant Aid for school I think this is not taxable.  

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

@verrnie725  you should search in a different thread..this is not about education grants