Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superseding Return

walnut123
Level 3

Wish to file a superseding return.

Already filed a return for client.  I'm told I have till May 17th to file a superseded return.

How should I do this- E-file or Paper?

I will need to label it as a superseded return.  I don't think ProSeries Basic allows me to label the return.

Is the only option Paper?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Mail a paper superseded return or Efile an amended.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Mail a paper superseded return or Efile an amended.

shf1957
Level 7

I know the IRS does NOT like to have 2 returns for the same individual in one season. Did that once and got a peaceful nasty letter stating not to do that ... to amend any return roughly atleast 2 weeks after the original one..  An amendment is just what it sounds like .. correcting or adding to an original..  and YES if need by you can amend an amendment with a new one.    Just remember, must give time inbetween so they have been put in the system and processed before amending.

walnut123
Level 3

Sorry.  I forgot the most critical element with my client.

I originally filed MFJ and now wish to file a superseded return as MFS.

Can I still do it by May 17th?

Is my only option a paper return since I have to label it as a superseded return and Proseries Basic doesn't give you an option to label a return this way.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Print and mail, use a black pen to write SUPERSEDED across the top.

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

You'll file two superseding returns (one for each spouse). They'll need to be paper filed, I would write "Superseding return" at the top and make sure everyone "ink" signs before mailing certified.  If the MFJ return showed a refund then you'll need to attach a statement to the returns indicating how you have decided to split the refund between the two tax returns (be consistent!) and indicate how much additional refund you are expecting for each MFS taxpayer.

My expectation will be that it will take the IRS 8-10 months to sort this out. But at least they'll pay interest (and at a rate better than any bank in town!)

Rick

Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

MUST be done by 5/17

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
Nick Zapatero
Level 1

There are differences between a Superseded and an Amended returns. An amended return may not be appropriate for all situations.

0 Cheers