Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub s program calculates allowable loss (basis worksheets) when current year operating loss exceeds basis. However, k-1 for each shareholder still shows total loss for the year. What to do?

richard64
Level 2

At risk worksheets don't allow fields to be populated  Form 6198 calculates correct allowable loss but k-1 -line 1 ordinary loss still has total loss (same as 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
richard64
Level 2

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I had all investment at risk checked.

It worked

You're the best

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
dkh
Level 15

The K1 will show the total loss. Each shareholder needs the basis worksheet to limit the loss on their personal tax return  thru Form 6198  which will flow to Sched E page 2

0 Cheers
richard64
Level 2

Thanks again for your help.  6198 calculated the correct allowable loss but Schedule E page 2 still shows the full loss as reported on K-1 part III on line 1. Very frustrating to see how pro series left us hanging. Their customer help associates are stymied as to figuring this out. Meanwhile it's up to pros like you to figure it out. Any additional help will be appreciated.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

have you check the box in Part II of K1 ---Some Investment Not at Risk?    

0 Cheers
richard64
Level 2

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I had all investment at risk checked.

It worked

You're the best

dkh
Level 15

Hooray!!!!     Glad I could help.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@dkh wrote:

Each shareholder needs the basis worksheet to limit the loss on their personal tax return  thru Form 6198  which will flow to Sched E page 2

I realize many ProSeries users use Form 6198 as a work around, but Form 6198 is NOT supposed to be used for Basis limitations.  That is for At-Risk limitations.

The proper way to do it is to manually calculate the allowable loss, and only enter that on the K-1.  Then manually carry forward any unused losses for when Basis is restored.

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

I stand corrected.   Thank you @TaxGuyBill   

0 Cheers
richard64
Level 2

ok - thanks. So the K-1, line 1 for the 1040 will be different than the K-1, line 1 on the Sub S return?

0 Cheers
richard64
Level 2

ok - thanks. So the K-1, line 1 for the 1040 will be different than the K-1, line 1 on the Sub S return?

0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

per @TaxGuyBill  - yes.      I used the Form6198 for several years for a client that had unallowed losses.  The program tracked my unallowed losses, only allowed loss was reported on return.......

0 Cheers
richard64
Level 2

0 Cheers