Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STUDENT TAX RETURNS

Highlighted
Level 1

I have a client with a son in college.  The son was in a hurry to file his taxes and claimed himself.  Is there a way to amend his return and have him not claim himself.  All the questions on the 1040X refer to returns that are for a year before 2018.

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
9 Replies 9
Highlighted
Level 15

Sure... but amended returns take a long time to be processed.  You'll have to file the parent's return on paper to claim him.

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

The 1040X in ProSeries inst final yet, it prints with DO NOT FILE across the front of it...you'll either have to wait for it to finalize or print out a form from IRS and fill in by hand.

@abctax55 what about a superseded return for this?  Ive never done one, but Ive seen it mentioned quite a bit.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

Im not crazy about "supercede".......I did one last year and IRS completely screwed that return. I had a tough time through letters etc.....truth be told, it was my first one I've ever done. I have always done amended returns. 

@abctax55 may have done more. 

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

Ive always done amended returns as well, I was just curious if a superseded return would get processed quicker than a 1040X.

Ive got one now that filed last week, has a $6000 refund thats  going to be grabbed by child support, hes fine with that, but now he shows up with n extra W2  UGH!   On a 1040X is shows he needs to pay back $1800, Im afraid that the full $6000 is going to get sent to CS and leave him holding the bag for the $1800....1040Xs take so long to process, I was considering a superseded return for him, if that would get processed quicker and not let that full refund get taken by CS.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 15

I don't think a superseding return would be any faster than an amended return.  BOTH have to be paper filed (unless the amended rules have changed for 2019..) and therefore processed by hand.

I'll refrain from editorializing regarding non-payment of child support... 

If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15

"I'll refrain from editorializing regarding non-payment of child support... "

Still wearing that shiny refurbished halo? 😁

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Yes...  it's one of those things I peeve about (as in it's a pet peeve)  

Garnishments for unpaid taxes - it happens.  Garnishments for not taking care of your kids - different issue.

Highlighted
Level 15

I don't think you can efile an amended return (you couldn't in past years). 

If you can't, then there's no *quick* way to let the IRS know.  And since the IRS already has a return on file with the kid's SSN, claiming himself, the parent's return can't be efiled.  It will be rejected if the kid's SSN is on it.

A superseding return is basically a second return filed, with updated info, but BEFORE the due date.  It would have to be paper filed too, with the same long turn-around time.

Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11

I think I have filed 1040-X's prior to 04/15 based on OP's original question. I dont remember any issues in the past.....I tried the "supercede" return last year and IRS screwed it up. They wanted the original amount from 1040 as well as the updated "Supercede" amount. I finally got it under control but WHEW......it sucked. 

Have you done many @abctax55 supercedes?

0 Cheers