Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stock Options not on W-2

LauraK
Level 1

My client has received stock options.  However, they are reported on a 1099-NEC because she is technically not an employee of that company.  Also, no 1099-B is issued.  Not sure why.  All I have is an account printout showing stock granted, vested, exercised, etc.  I'm having trouble using the Exercise stock options worksheet on ProSeries.  Does anyone have experience with stock options on a 1099-NEC with no 1099-B?  Thanks

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Did she sell them yet? You wont see a 1099B until they get sold.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
LauraK
Level 1

Yes.  She did sell some.  Granted 2500 on 3/15/18.  Each month 52 shares vest.  At the time of her sale, 1406 vested and she sold 120 shares.  No 1099-B.  

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

How about skipping the worksheet?

Sounds like you have basis and sales price; date acquired and date sold.

Ex-AllStar
LauraK
Level 1

I will probably do that.  I was hoping the worksheet might help to track year to year and carry forward unsold stock.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

Is this a publicly-traded company or are these "phantom" shares for which they are coming up with a figure that the shares are worth, and paying her cash for those when she asks for it?  

If there are real shares involved, they would be sold through a broker who may have signed her up for email delivery of statements.  Sometimes you have to rely on clients to ask some questions.  

LauraK
Level 1

Thanks.  I'll have her check again.  They are publicly traded - NASDAQ - but is very confusing.  She works for One Medical but the shares are offered through a difference company.  Since she is not an employee, she received a 1099-NEC for the stock options instead of them being reported on her w-2

0 Cheers
PATAX
Level 15

Did a return this year for a client with similar activity... She was retired and the old employer did Issue a W-2... She had to make a few phone calls or so to get the necessary documentation for me.... it is a publicly traded Fortune 500 company...

0 Cheers