Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stimulus payments for deceased

bheizer
Level 4

Crazy year......In January I understood that deceased clients should not receive a stimulus payment. But the software gave it to them if I put that they did not receive it.  Called ProSeries to ask how to handle it and was told to put that deceased taxpayer did receive the stimulus check which I did.

NOW we are told that anyone that died any time in 2020 is entitled to stimulus money. So should I assume that I will need to go back and amend returns where I put that they did receive the money per instructions from ProSeries at the time.

Can't blame IRS, ProSeries, etc......the freaking congress and administrations need to make up their freaking minds.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
dkh
Level 15

I got a little confused trying to follow your info but here is what I think you said/asked

Yes, If taxpayer was alive anytime in 2020 they are entitled to the stimulus money

If taxpayer did not receive the money then $0 should have been entered $0 on the RRC worksheet

If you did not enter $0 then yes you will need to amend return because IRS will not correct RRC on returns and I will look for some documentation regarding the amending part

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

If they died prior to 2020, they werent entitled to it and if they received an advance, they were "supposed" to return it, I havent seen any formal requests for that money to be returned though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

You can blame IRS because their Quickie Guidance, reacting to Media Guidance, initially said that decedent payments should be returned.  But blame yourself also, because by January the 1040 Instructions had been published:

Form 1040 Instructions, Page 56

Generally, you are eligible to claim
the recovery rebate credit if in 2020 you
were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien,
weren't a dependent of another taxpayer,
and have a valid social security
number. This includes someone who
died in 2020, if you are preparing a return
for that person.

PATAX
Level 15

let us hope that this year does not create a precedent...

0 Cheers