Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stimulus Payments for deceased taxpayer

Anna Marie
Level 1

Taxpayer died 1/11/20, so shoud they receive the stimulus payment paid to their beneficiary?  The program does not disallow the payment if the date of death is entered.  Some articles say that if a taxpayer dies in 2020 they are entitled.  Some say they will have to pay it back.  I cannot find a firm ruling.  Any advice?  I appreciate your input.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
TAXOH
Level 11

The beneficiaries get to keep it.

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
If they died in 20 or 21 theyre entitled to the RRC on the 2020 return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Some say they will have to pay it back."

Who is this guy Some?  The payment was an advance on a refundable tax credit.  Folks always qualify for refundable tax credits as long as they were alive for a few minutes after the clock struck midnight on December 31st.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Some#1 is the guy in the next chair at the barbershop.  Some#2 is the brother-in-law's cousin's ex-wife.  Some#3 is keeping his mouth shut because he read the 1040 instructions.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
"Some" guy is related to the "they" people

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

@Just-Lisa-Now- "Some" guy is related to the "they" people

Can't be sure of that.  "They" generally speak only in the passive voice. "I was told  . . ."

0 Cheers
Anna Marie
Level 1

Correction: Some articles that I have read