Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Refund Worksheet

kwthetaxguy
Level 2

Hello Intuit Community, 

I have come across this issue for the last 2-3 years, and this year I am struggling to figure it out, so, I am optimistic someone from the Community can help me out. Here it goes: 

In the State Tax Refund Worksheet > Part V > Lines 19a, 19b, 20 and 21, the software wants you to recompute my client's AMT; however, I am not sure that I have an efficient way to accomplish this. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what info goes in the aforementioned lines within the worksheet? Citations would be appreciated, if possible. 

Thank you.  

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

theres a worksheet in the prior year return that I print out for this...Ive got a cheat sheet at the office because I cant ever remember whats its called, I only have 2 or 3 clients that ever need this...I feel like it was someone (one of the regulars) in this group that lead me to it years ago... 

If I get a chance to dig it up at the office today, I'll post it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

If you select HELP while on one of the lines of Part V you can select complex recomputation of your XXXX income.   Or as the instructions say you can skip the process by selecting Recomputation not available.  

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I cant find my cheat sheet (I must have left it in one of my clients folder), and it looks like I havent had anyone that needed it the past couple of years, so going by memory,  its called the Recovery Exclusion worksheet and you check a box in Part I for it to compute Parts II, III and IV and I think you look for the line in Part IV that has an asterisk next to it...thats the best I can do without having one right in front of me.

sjrcpa
Level 15

You can do it the old fashioned way.

Open up last year's return and/or make a copy of it.

Reduce the Sch A state tax by the amount refunded.

Then look at the new tax and AMT amounts.

Ex-AllStar
joshuabarksatlcs
Level 10

Pardon me but this being Friday afternoon, and me being a Bourbon kind of guy, I couldn't help but feel obligated to add this:

Classic Old-fashioned Ingredients

• 1/2 teaspoon sugar

• 3 dashes Angostura bitters

• 1 teaspoon water

• 2 ounces bourbon

• Garnish: orange peel

I come here for kudos and IRonMaN's jokes.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Not a bourbon kinda gal, but cheers!

JustLisaNow_0-1631307769375.png

dkh
Level 15

GLASS.png TWO OUNCES FOR THE DRINK RECIPE

GLASS.pngTWO OUNCES FOR THE BARTENDER

CHEERS!

Accountant-Man
Level 12

In the prior year's return, the AMT worksheet is in the LOAF, right after the State Refund Worksheet itself. 

List of All Forms.

>>>> "Recovery Excl" worksheet. Right after "State Tax Ded" worksheet.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
dkh
Level 15

to go with @joshuabarksatlcs 's old fashion recipe -  and taking the cue from @Accountant-Man   I'm including a LOAF recipe link courtesy of @Just-Lisa-Now- 

Off topic....Beer Bread for Sunday snacking! - Intuit Accountants Community