Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Tax Planners

FPCwealth
Level 2

The Federal tax planner is amazing, but that is only half the equation. Why are we not able to have a state tax planner built out? I cannot be the only one with this issue??

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

15 Comments 15
dkh
Level 15

You are not alone.   It is in the Proseries Tax Idea Exchange.   If you can find it - give it a vote.

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Not sure if all states for ProSeries have one, but for Wisconsin you can use the state estimated work sheet. It works very well, and I use it for several of my clients

FPCwealth
Level 2

The only issue with this is I need the planner so I can feed the info into the estimated work-sheet.

0 Cheers
taxes96786
Level 9
FPCwealth
Level 2

have you been using this solution? I still wonder why ProSeries would not make this available.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

I have been using BNA Income Tax Planner with 50 states for many years.

With Lacerte, I can export the tax return data to it. Federal works very well, state transfer usually requires some tweaking. There is a small up charge for this feature. I don't if it has the ability to do this with ProSeries.

Ex-AllStar
taxes96786
Level 9

I learned years ago that PS doesn't care about the State returns.  They include them for financial gain. They know if States were not included the product won't sell as well.

0 Cheers
Hub
Level 4

This really is an absolute requirement.  How can we advise clients and plan for future years without a state tax planner.  I do not understand why ProSeries does not offer a state planner.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

You would have to pay more and they don't consider it worth their while.

Ex-AllStar
IRonMaN
Level 15

As noted above, you in effect have one on the estimated tax worksheet.  It's just not as flexible as the federal worksheet but it does get the job done.

Slava Ukraini!
Hub
Level 4

Thank you, I will give that a try

Hub
Level 4

Using the estimated tax worksheet for California for instance does work, but is a very painful calculation and no way to look at future years.  

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

I did mention it wasn't as flexible as the federal 😉

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I use SAVE AS and make a copy of the current year return for a "what if" scenario then make the changes you're expecting for the next year.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Hub
Level 4

Lisa

That's a good point, and I have done some of that, you just don't get the automatic changes and indexing for the next year.  It also makes it a little more difficult to see the comparison with the prior year if that is important to you.

Thanks

0 Cheers