Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Refund

bhenthorn
Level 1

I just finished preparing a state return and the result was $1 owed! This makes me think the program is trying to give me a red flag that something is off! Final review check out but I've had this happen a few times before, like every year at least once. Just seems odd to ask the client to send in a check for $1.

Should I trust the outcome, or is the program trying to tell me something?

Any opinions are appreciated!!

Brad

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Replies 6
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Follow the money through the return, its completely possible to owe $1 or have a $1 refund 

I generally have the client opt for direct debit for $1 owed, or donate the $1 refund to charity (CA lets you do this right on the return).

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Camp1040
Level 8

Most states's instructions, but not all, will state that you do not have to pay a tax due for one dollar or less. 

Is pay by electronic funds option checked? If so I would de-select it.

IRonMaN
Level 15

Sometimes this place just amazes me.  Absolutely positively amazes me.

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Tomatoes (I had to get rid of the turtles - they kept running away)
Camp1040
Level 8

In a good way???😊

IRonMaN
Level 15

Always

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Tomatoes (I had to get rid of the turtles - they kept running away)
chasetax
Level 7

Pennsylvania returns routinely have a refund or owe $1.00, and are not req'd to pay nor receive.

0 Cheers