Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

state efile

MikeA1
Level 2

Can you efile a state return if you are not efiling the federal return?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeA1
Level 2

OHIO AND CALIFORNIA

I was able to efile and they were ultimately accepted.  So, I guess the answer to my question, at lease as it pertains to these two states, is yes.

Thank you to all who have replied.  I appreciate everyone's insight!

View solution in original post

7 Comments 7
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I do all the time in Illinois. 

Are there restrictions in other states, Im not sure. I dont see why a state would restrict that......

0 Cheers
MikeA1
Level 2

I don't think so but wanted to float it before I tried it.  Under normal circumstances when you efile, the fed and state go at the same time.  If the Fed gets rejected, then the state gets rejected because the Fed got rejected.  The only issue is that the child of the taxpayer did not check the box of being claimed as a dependent of a parent.  So now I have to paper file the Fed.  Was not sure if the state would reject an efile if it was a standalone filing without the fed being simultaneously filed.  Also not sure if the states have the same level of sophistication to flag the return for the same issue.  Just trying to limit the paper filing.

Thank you for your reply!

Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Some states are piggybacked on federal, and some are not.  For a list type "piggybacked states for efile" in ask ProSeries for help

Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11

you should be able to efile the state stand alone. at least in ohio it works that way

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Even when they are piggyback, you can usually resubmit the state if the federal was rejected.

Try it and see what happens. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Ex-AllStar
dkh
Level 15
What state ?
0 Cheers
MikeA1
Level 2

OHIO AND CALIFORNIA

I was able to efile and they were ultimately accepted.  So, I guess the answer to my question, at lease as it pertains to these two states, is yes.

Thank you to all who have replied.  I appreciate everyone's insight!