Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State allocation of income

Rickthelaw
Level 1

I am having the same issue others have had where the allocation worksheet for a PY resident will not stop entering additional lines of income.  This particular return even shows States that are not included in the return.  The correct allocation is entered in the last entry if the worksheet but it continues to request more allocation numbers and states.  I tried what two others posted and neither has worked.  Any suggestions?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
taxes96786
Level 9

Read IRS form instructions or Pub 17

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Does you keyboard just automatically type Pub 17.  What in the %%^$#%^ does that have to do with a software issue?

I haven't seen the other posts to know what is going on with your issue, but did one of the solutions suggest deleting the allocation worksheet and starting  a new one?

Slava Ukraini!
sjrcpa
Level 15

Ans how would Pub 17 help with part year state returns?

Ex-AllStar
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

If this is a 1040. Look at bottom of info worksheet and follow the multi state and allocation workflow. Go into each unneeded state and “file remove this state or city. Can’t imagine how unneeded states got there but presume it was self inflicted.

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
Rickthelaw
Level 1

The answer was actually here after reading all of them.  When allocating you can only use W-2s that are necessary for the allocation (current income).  If there are others or previous ones from a past return that were carried over year to year they MUST be deleted.  Then the allocation works as it should.

0 Cheers