Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Deduction raised to $20,000 for unknown reason

ejdtaxman
Level 7

In completing a return I noticed that my client's standard deduction was raised inexplicably to $20,000. Unfortunately the worksheet gives no explanation as to why it's been raised (really a deficiency in the program in my opinion). None of the normal reasons apply - she's not a senior, not blind, not disabled, and I verified that all of these were marked correctly in the program. I can think of no other reason, can someone suggest something I haven't thought of? Or somewhere I should look? Client has several W2s and also schedule C income. 

She would have no taxable income even at her normal standard deduction of $18,350, so the issue is probably moot, but it is disconcerting to me that the number appears this way since it makes me think something else might be wrong. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ejdtaxman
Level 7

I found the issue. If someone can please remove this post or mark it solved or inactive I would appreciate it. thanks

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
ejdtaxman
Level 7

I found the issue. If someone can please remove this post or mark it solved or inactive I would appreciate it. thanks

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Sure would be nice if you bothered to *share* the solution, for the benefit of future searchers.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
ejdtaxman
Level 7

I was wrong. I marked her blind by accident. What a total waste of time. My apologies. 

abctax55
Level 15

LOL....

I worked for someone who (decades ago....) made a little old lady "blind" just to avoid having to try to explain to her WHY she owed some minimal amount.  

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

One of the FAQs we used to get at IRS was whether that additional deduction could be claimed for someone who died.  After all, if they were dead, they were also blind, right?

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

@BobKamman wrote:

One of the FAQs we used to get at IRS was whether that additional deduction could be claimed for someone who died.  After all, if they were dead, they were also blind, right?

LOL......🤣😂

0 Cheers