Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSTB

mvp2885
Level 5

Hello. Got a question, actually about my own LLC return. This is an SSTB. Two partners will report less than the SSTB thresholds, the other partner is way over that amount. So for the question that asked "SSTB Yes or No" if I select yes, will thethreshold amounts depend on the individual's 1040 income? 

For example if partner B earns $560,000 and A earns $80,000, partner A can use the QBI, but not partner B for an SSTB? 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dascpa
Level 11

The calculation of a QBI deduction is on the 1040 based upon the 1040 income which of course the K-1 from the LLC is just one component of income.  So if the K-1 income was $100,000 but the spouse's W-2 was $400,000 they would be over the SSTB QBI threshhold.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4
dascpa
Level 11

Whether the LLC has SSTB activity is at the entity level.  Whether the individual can qualify for the Sec. 199A QBI deduction is at the individual level.  One member's return has no bearing on another member's return.

mvp2885
Level 5

Correct! That I understand. However my dilemma is in reference to the thresholds. Since SSTB has it's threshold levels, are those amount based on business income or individual income? 

Here is the link from the IRS; https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/facts-about-the-qualified-business-income-deduction

0 Cheers
dascpa
Level 11

The calculation of a QBI deduction is on the 1040 based upon the 1040 income which of course the K-1 from the LLC is just one component of income.  So if the K-1 income was $100,000 but the spouse's W-2 was $400,000 they would be over the SSTB QBI threshhold.

mvp2885
Level 5

Got it! Thanks! 

0 Cheers