Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spouse with No Social Security Number or ITIN

Blanca
Level 3

Can a taxpayer efile a join return if she does not have an ITIN or Social security Number for her spouse?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

@Accountant-Man wrote:

No e-filing.

Even for paper-filing, the NRA spouse will still need to apply for an ITIN to file MFJ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
sjrcpa
Level 15

No.

Ex-AllStar
Accountant-Man
Level 12

No e-filing.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Accountant-Man wrote:

No e-filing.

Even for paper-filing, the NRA spouse will still need to apply for an ITIN to file MFJ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Blanca
Level 3

I was reading on the form for ITIN application W-7 If applied for this year you can only use it for next year. Hi wife & him got married on May 2019.  How should she filed if  he does not have an ITIN or SS# if she has a dependent who is 1 year old who lived with her the whole year?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@Blanca wrote:

I was reading on the form for ITIN application W-7 If applied for this year you can only use it for next year.

Where on the W-7 did you read that?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers