Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software is calculating child tax credit on a 20-year old child. Has anyone seen this and how do I fix?

tina-suhocki
Level 1

Taxpayer is claiming education credit for a 20-year old child.  However, software is also calculating a child tax credit on the same child.  Should not be since he is over the age of 17.  Has anyone seen this and how do I fix it?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should be able to get educational credits and the ODC (other dependent credit)  on the same dependent, one doesn't cancel out or have an effect on the other, they are 2 separate things.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
sjrcpa
Level 15
The new credit under the new tax law?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
That's what I was thinking.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
tina-suhocki
Level 1
Yes! Thank you!  Can't see this unless you go to the supporting Worksheet that shows the credit as the new "Other Dependent Credit".  Should have checked this first!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

You should be able to get educational credits and the ODC (other dependent credit)  on the same dependent, one doesn't cancel out or have an effect on the other, they are 2 separate things.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers