Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

social security on tip income

EileenDC
Level 2

One of my clients has tip income entered in box 5 of his W2.  I've entered it into Proseries but the program doesn't seem to calculate the additional taxes which are due on his tip income.  Medicare taxes were withheld for the full amount on income (wages plus tips) b

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the W-2 was prepared correctly, you shouldn't have to do any extra gymnastics.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
IRonMaN
Level 15

If the W-2 was prepared correctly, you shouldn't have to do any extra gymnastics.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Wages in boxes 3 and 7, when added together should have the 6.2% of the total showing in Box 4 of the W2.  If its not correct, its the employer that will need to correct with IRS...and unless your client has excess SS (multiple W2s that exceed the SS limit) you dont need to worry about it on the tax return.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@EileenDC wrote:

One of my clients has tip income entered in box 5 of his W2. 

Do you mean Box 7?  If you enter Box 3 and Box 7, ProSeries should auto-calculate the amount in Box 4 (assuming you have the check box checked).

0 Cheers
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

Your client would only pay taxes   on "unreported tips.. (Form 4137).  If they are on the W2... ergo...they are not unreported.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
mkenison
Level 1

I finally found the entry for social security tax on tips, form 4137, but it says it's an override and makes the return not available for efile.  Is there any way around this so we can efile it?

0 Cheers