Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So for CA, since its a community property state, the UI exclusion for MFJ is up to 10200 per person even if only 1 person has UI?

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Intuit is not calculating it this way and neither have I when I was doing it manually, and Im done FN with all this BS!.

https://www.caltax.com/news/flash-email/2021-22-ui-exclusion-for-married-taxpayers-and-ppp-loan-and-...

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
BobKamman
Level 15

I wouldn't rely on a 1992 Tax Court memorandum opinion -- those are not precedent, although they can be cited to illustrate, among other things, that the law is so settled that it doesn't need to be reviewed by more than one judge.  In the Calhoun case, the wife was claiming that none of the unemployment should be taxed to her; the IRS, while having assessed the tax-protester husband for all of it, maintained that she really should at least be assigned half of it.  

The best sources for California community-property laws are California courts, but apparently Spidell couldn't come up with a state case.  Not many of the formerly unemployed can afford a trip to appellate courts.  But really, why is the outcome in doubt?  It's like asking for a Supreme Court decision that the San Andreas fault is going to cause some damage eventually.  

0 Cheers
Kathleen1
Level 4

Anyone know how this works in Georgia on a MFJ return with the equitable division laws?  Are they limited to an exclusion of $10,200 if only one spouse had unemployment income?

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

All I know about Georgia law is what gets passed around in political emails, but doesn't "equitable division" apply only to divorce?  

0 Cheers