Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub-S distributions are different for each member, but treated pro rata in software. How to fix to show each members exact distributions

CoachSteve
Level 1

4 person Sub-S with 1st year of operation in 2018.  Only one member took a distribution in 2018.  When entering the amount on Sch K in the "Shareholder Distributions and Dividends Smart Worksheet" it automatically allocates the amount to the 4 members in a pro rata share.

Is there a separate place to enter non-pro rata distributions (cash only) and then enter directly on each member's K-1?  Or, do I need to override the distributions on each K-1 separately?

Steve P.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Coach - the other three players need to be in the game too.  You can't have only one player take a distribution and leave the rest of the team sitting on the bench ------------------ that kinda kills your sub S election.  You might want to think about talking to the shareholder about drafting a note payable back to the corp for that amount until you can get things straightened out in 2019.  As a side note, hopefully everyone is taking out some wages before they think about taking out distributions.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
13 Comments 13
IRonMaN
Level 15

Coach - the other three players need to be in the game too.  You can't have only one player take a distribution and leave the rest of the team sitting on the bench ------------------ that kinda kills your sub S election.  You might want to think about talking to the shareholder about drafting a note payable back to the corp for that amount until you can get things straightened out in 2019.  As a side note, hopefully everyone is taking out some wages before they think about taking out distributions.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
So as Ironman pointed out, distributions in a S-corporation are *REQUIRED* to be equal.  If they aren't, the S-election is voided and it becomes a C-corporation.
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

If I could mark Ironman's answer as helpful more than once, I would. UNLESS YOU WANT TO TERMINATE THE S ELECTION, ALL DISTRIBUTIONS MUST BE PRO RATA.

Coach, please open a book on S corps.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Or attend a webinar (or 3).
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
CoachSteve
Level 1
I did some research and discovered that while distributions are required to be proportionate, they don't have to all be made at the same time.  In our case a member who was leaving the business took money out of the business (in excess of his salary) before year-end.  The other members took their share in 2019 (when cash was available).  This is perfectly legitimate.  So my question stands:  is there a separate place to enter non-pro rata distributions (cash only) and that carries to each member's K-1?  Or, do I need to override the distributions on each K-1 separately?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
When I have this situation I tend to book Distributions Payable for the 2019 portion. Then show all of the distributions-actual pd in 2018 and amt to pay in 2019 on the 1120S.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
Susan, would that work for a cash basis S Corp?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
I think so.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12
It should work.
** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
Thank you both.  I don't have anyone who has done this but just in case........
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
It is usually a one off for me. I tell them you messed up distributions and they fix it ASAP.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I've resorted to it once.  Then, just like with missed W-2, my client either cleans up their act or I send 'em on their way.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
ditto.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers