Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow IRS processing of my clients' returns are going to cost me! Where are the refunds? Returns prepared and efiled in the beginning of February are going nowhere!!

joeyman1957
Level 2

Did the IRS close down?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
abctax55
Level 15

Have the returns been accepted per ProSeries?  If not, you have an issue.

OR

Do the returns have EIC, etc.... those refunds that the IRS takes a second look at?

But no, to answer your question, the IRS has NOT shut down.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
IRonMaN
Level 15

"Returns prepared and efiled in the beginning of February are going nowhere"

Are you referring to returns that were transmitted to Intuit before the 2/12 IRS start date?

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Going nowhere" as in their status in your program?

"Where are the refunds?"

Have you or one of the clients used the "Where's My Refund" portal to see what it tells you about the return or the refund?

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Millions of earlier filed returns are jammed up in processing....its not just your clients. 

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

The latest confession from IRS:  As of March 5, 2021, we had 2.4 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of March 5, 2021, we had 9.2 million unprocessed returns in the pipeline.

My understanding is that IRS has a new computer that will immediately clear this backlog when installed.  Right now it's on a ship somewhere in the Suez Canal.

Seriously, as of March 19 IRS had received 76 million returns, about 73 million of them through e-filing.  They had started processing 68 million of them and issued 47 million refunds.  People were spoiled when things went faster in the Before Times.  It's not even April yet.  Here's a $1,400 check to tide you over.  

joeyman1957
Level 2

Thank you Lisa,

After speaking with an IRS representative last week, it seems like the IRS is

aprox 2 months behind.

What a tax season!

Regards

Joe LaPorta

0 Cheers