Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting to turn off automatic estimated tax payments in software?

trw4879
Level 3

Hi all - is there a setting to turn off the automatic calculation of estimated tax payments for all clients? The amount of time wasted reprinting returns to exclude automatic estimated tax payments is significant. Thanks!

0 Cheers
10 Comments 10
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Don't believe you can turn off. What I do is during review when it comes to "estimated payments" If I don't need I then check box "do not print estimates" 

IRonMaN
Level 15

Yeah, it's safer to shut off individual clients than shut all of them off and then forget to run estimates for clients that really do need them.

Slava Ukraini!
Accountant-Man
Level 12

I consider it part of my professional responsibility to prepare them or not to prepare them.

I also do not print estimates with the Client Copy of the returns. I use the Watermark on all forms, and I do not want a watermark on the estimates or the 8879s.

It takes a little longer, but I think it's worth it.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.
trw4879
Level 3

That's not necessarily the question...whether or not to prepare estimates, etc. It's more that I want the default starting point to not include estimates...at which point I can add estimate calcs for applicable clients. 

IRonMaN
Level 15

We didn't all ride in on the same turnip truck, we understood the question.  Sometimes the software has features that help keep preparers from shooting themselves in the foot.

Slava Ukraini!
trw4879
Level 3

Thanks - I just didn't want the topic to veer into "should I prepare estimates for the client or not" territory. It's more of a software feature discussion, which seems to have concluded that estimates can only be turned off manually. I appreciate everyone's input - always nice to have a sounding board!

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
You could Edit the Client Template to check that box Do Not Calculate ES Payments, then every new client return would have that box checked, it wont affect current files though.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
trw4879
Level 3

Oh interesting - I will definitely be doing that. Is there a quick and dirty on how to find the "Client Template"? Thanks Lisa.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Under TOOLS on the top menu bar, you will see Edit Client Template as an option, you can check certain boxes or make changes that you want to appear on all returns....but it only affects new returns created after you edited the template.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
trw4879
Level 3

This is SUPER helpful. Thank you so much, Lisa!

0 Cheers