Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUPPORT IS CLOSED! OCT 15TH! Duplicate SSN in EF center. It will not let me remove the incorrect one because the extension was filed & accepted back in April. I think.

When I click on the "Fix duplicate SSN" link & I check the boxes to remove the incorrect returns, it will not allow because "Efiled or Ready to Efile" column says yes & it says it can't be removed.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Intuit_Matt B
Employee
Employee

If you have more than 1 file/return appearing in the EF Center, open the one you are not going to send and un-mark it for e-file (Federal and state). Once you have only 1 return showing in the EF Center, you should be able to transmit without the duplicate ssn error.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
18 Comments 18
Intuit_Matt B
Employee
Employee

If you have more than 1 file/return appearing in the EF Center, open the one you are not going to send and un-mark it for e-file (Federal and state). Once you have only 1 return showing in the EF Center, you should be able to transmit without the duplicate ssn error.

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Are they supposed to stay open until midnight just in case there is a problem with a return because someone took 9 1/2 months to get their act together to finally file their return?  Are you staying open to midnight in case someone stops by to file a return?  

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

I gave my people until Saturday to get me their stuff. And that was simpler returns....anything more complex they ran the risk of being late.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I tell my clients I want everything by September 1st.   :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Sep 1 for me too.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
get out of dodge?!?!? seriously?
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Seriously.  I am not going to work long hours and be stressed out just because clients want to procrastinate.

I make occasional exceptions, but generally it is September 1st (even if they are expecting a late K-1, I want everything else by September 1st).
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I'd rather over-deliver then by turning it around as a favor than not being to make the deadline because the client is late.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
We had one client that has a schedule C.  They were in a hurry and going to have everything to us in January.  They finally show up late Friday afternoon.  We get the return finished up on Sunday and let them know it will be ready for pick up on Monday.  They are told the balance due and then the text comes back "what can we do".   Well for starters, get your crap in by January :angry::angry:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I cant argue your logic my friend @TaxGuyBill. I feel that way at original deadline. Early in my career and until about a decade ago I would allow clients up to and including the day of deadline. I then wised up and made a rule that 3 days prior is double and then triple until last day is quadruple my fee. Either that or they go on extension. Only one person paid x3.

I have a small % that actually go on extension so, I guess I can be a little more flexible time wise.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Hahahaha, @IRonMaN I know that feeling. "what can we do?". WTF?!?! :laughing:
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Except for pick-ups, signatures and payments, I'm done on April 10th.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
My buddy runs a similar timeline re: April.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I'm done on April 10th too.  Well at least that's when my body says enough is enough and I start getting irritated on why some of these yahoos have to push things to the last minute.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
had the husband for the last return that straggled bits and pieces in for a week finally stop in yesterday to sign and says "well what about this and this and …."  I just looked at him and said  "You're done!   If you want to change anything else, we can talk about it next year before we file 2018, now sign on the red X!"

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
:+1:  Good for you @Just Lisa Now! for some its all about them and they cant fathom when someone tells them it aint happening.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
People like that is why we don't keep guns, knifes, or sharp pointed scissors in the office :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
My three problem returns running up to the deadline:

#1 -  complicated multi-state return with two 1031's last year.  And he did drag his toes a bit getting me the info.
#2 -  He was waiting on Trust K-1s.  They arrived Sat evening @ 6:30....not his fault really.  Except that he IGNORED all my emails Mon a.m. 'cuz he was afraid he'd owe & couldn't cope.  He got a bit of a lecture about growing up/facing life/etc.
#3 - complicated multi-state return with 60+ K-1s.  Plus an S-corp and a partnership (both that I prepare)feeding into his personal return that also gets multiple K-1's that generally aren't available until late summer.

My organizer letter specifies a date in Mid-March as the deadline for submission.  My engagement letters states that if the info comes in late...YOU bear the brunt (of penalties or of extra prep fees .

For one client several years ago, who had been consistently late & disorganized, I actually added a 25% late submission surcharge.  Which they paid....but I fired them anyway.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers