Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Financed Loan on installment sale - seller sold loan - how to report

csanchez
Level 4

Seller carried the loan and installment sale was setup on Form 6252 in 2020. Principle & interest received were recorded for 2020. Seller sold note in 2021. How to report?

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

You report receipt of the remaining note rec as all being received in current year on Form 6252.  Part II, Line A1  (which actually could be some from the original borrower and some from note purchaser.). and don't overlook any interest rec;d before the note sale.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.
0 Cheers
csanchez
Level 4

Thank you. I will check it out.

0 Cheers
csanchez
Level 4

What if note sold for more than remaining installment amount?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@csanchez wrote:

What if note sold for more than remaining installment amount?

How could that happen?  Why would anybody pay MORE than the remaining amount?  If that were to happen, there would seem to be more to the situation.

0 Cheers
csanchez
Level 4

I may have set up the installment sale incorrectly. I entered the selling price and the cost basis (which was very low) and I entered the amount of the loan on line 6. Selling price & loan amount were not the same since the purchaser paid a down payment.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"What if note sold for more than remaining installment amount?"

How much more? It is possible that the note is favorable as investment, such as, the note carried 7% interest, and the seller accepts principal + 2%.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers