Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selecting client files to copy/backup

kattsmeow17
Level 3

I need to amend a 2019 1040 that I e-filed using ProSeries Basic.  I want to be able to e-file the 1040X.  The instructions say to backup the client file first.  It says in HomeBase, select the client file(s) you want to backup, then File/Client File Maintenance/(Copy/Backup).  The Copy/Backup box comes up, but a different file than the one I want to backup is not the one that shows in the box, and it will not allow me to change the file.  suggestions?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This is what I do as well, use the original file (with the filename you want to keep using and transferring each year) as the amended return.

I don't save an actual "tax file" of the original return, its wrong, so I have no reason to save it in the program like that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Print a paper or pdf copy of the return for your records and don't bother with the copying route --------- I never have.  As a side note, e-filing is shutdown until they open back up in January.

Slava Ukraini!
kattsmeow17
Level 3

Are you saying that you then turn the original file into the amended file?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yup.  As long as you have a copy of the original in some shape or form, there really isn't a reason to mess around making a copy of the client file.

Slava Ukraini!
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

This is what I do as well, use the original file (with the filename you want to keep using and transferring each year) as the amended return.

I don't save an actual "tax file" of the original return, its wrong, so I have no reason to save it in the program like that.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
kattsmeow17
Level 3

thanks.

kattsmeow17
Level 3

thanks

0 Cheers