Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 179 write off

DANCINGCPA
Level 1

On S-Corp return with qualified improvements (J5). The program is NOT taking the 179 deduction.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffRogers
Level 2

You can claim 179 on qualified real property in 2018, see Rev Proc 2019-08 for how to do this!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
JeffRogers
Level 2

You can claim 179 on qualified real property in 2018, see Rev Proc 2019-08 for how to do this!

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
You are right, Rick and I were mistakenly referring to Bonus Depreciation (which is still not allowed until Congress corrects it) but it still qualifies for Section 179.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Thanks Jeff.  I like that the IRS found their own way through the muck on this one.  I somehow didn't get an email update when they released RP-2019-08.
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13

Qualified improvements are currently in limbo pending a technical correction by Congress.  Here's an article on it:

https://www.kbkg.com/news/kbkg-tax-insight-tax-reform-changes-to-qualified-improvement-property

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
In other words, current law says it does not qualify for Section 179.

If and when Congress makes the technical correction, then it qualifies.

I'm not sure if the S-corporation is the same, but in the Individual returns in ProSeries, the Information Worksheet (where you enter the taxpayer's name, address, etc.) it has a check box to use the 15-year Recovery Period for Qualified Improvements (which should then allow Section 179).  However, I would not recommend filing that way until the law is changed to reflect that.
0 Cheers
JeffRogers
Level 2

There is now a box to check in the Lacerte depreciation input screen to identify the "Qualified Real Property." I am not sure which update added this box, but it's now there! Problem Solved!

0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Unless you're like everyone else on this thread and using ProSeries. 🙂
0 Cheers
JeffRogers
Level 2
Well I am sure they will add this feature soon, so hold off on filing.
0 Cheers