Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section 179 deductions should be included in QBI income, correct?

tpcooper
Level 2

I just did a Form 1120S and Line 21 Code V (QBI Income) does not include Section 179.  I can see this being correct as of course the entity does not know if the shareholder is going to be limited on Section 179.

But if they are able to take the Section 179, I need to make a manual adjustment here, correct? Right now, without me doing so, the QBI income and therefore deduction the taxpayer is getting is too high.

Is there a better place for me to correct this than just manually adjusting what I put in for Code V when I input the K-1.

Or is this just a loophole/gift and the Section 179 does not reduce QBI income.  I can't find any support of that though.

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

QBI for the K-1 should be reduced by §179 on the individual return for the reason you mentioned.  Think this is not working as it should, at least for 1120S, across all of Intuit's ProConnect tax products.  The fix for Lacerte/PTO is scheduled to be released later this week but not sure about PS.

FWIW, QBI is working properly for Sch C and 1065 K-1 with §179 on Lacerte/PTO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
If I remember correctly, that adjustment is done on the 1040 when calculating the QBI.  However, the last I heard, QBI in connection with K-1s is not working yet.
George4Tacks
Level 15
ProSeries may have the same problem as Lacerte https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1796713-inv-25078-partnership-and-s-corporate-calc...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

QBI for the K-1 should be reduced by §179 on the individual return for the reason you mentioned.  Think this is not working as it should, at least for 1120S, across all of Intuit's ProConnect tax products.  The fix for Lacerte/PTO is scheduled to be released later this week but not sure about PS.

FWIW, QBI is working properly for Sch C and 1065 K-1 with §179 on Lacerte/PTO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
tbfreeman
Level 1

So should we hold off on submitting personal returns until this is fixed

0 Cheers
Patti
Level 1

When is this scheduled to be fixed.  My clients are not happy.  

0 Cheers
simmcows28597
Level 2

you can't file the personal return electronically till they get it fixed.  It gives an error message on the issue.  Intuit has known about this for a while now and we are still waiting.  I have farm returns I can not file because of it and they are due 2/28.  I am not pleased.  

0 Cheers