Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scorp and LLC

delmarflwr2
Level 2

What does the statement "California does not confirm to any credit or deduction as a result of the PPP

loan forgiveness amounts. Any credit or deduction otherwise allowed for any amount paid or incurred should be reduced by the amount of the exclusion allowed under the PPP for California Purposes

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Some states have a deduction but do not see one for Califronia"

Because it specifically is the opposite; CA is nonconforming, means, it did not agree to do the same as the Feds.

If you got PPP of $10,000 then that much in wages is not deductible as expense for CA. They are not taxing the forgiven debt as income, but they are not allowing you to also include the offsetting expense as deductible. For every other State that conforms to Fed, and for Fed, you are getting a double-benefit: not taxable income and still get to deduct the expenses.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

10 Comments 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

It means just what it says- PPP money isn’t free money in CA

Slava Ukraini!
delmarflwr2
Level 2

That's what I thought but just wanted if verified. So do you just add back the amount that was deducted to bottom line? There is no form for adjustments to do so unless I am blind. If you know that would be great

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

Sorry, I primarily prepare Mn returns and we have a specific add back line in the return.  Off hand I’m not sure how CA is doing it.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

You might search the web, such as:

https://www.caltax.com/news/flash-email/2020-71-california-says-no-deduction-for-expenses-paid-with-...

0 Cheers
delmarflwr2
Level 2

So I just deduct the wages that were used to get loan forgiven from the full amount allowed on Federal?

Some states have a deduction but do not see one for Califronia

thank you

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Some states have a deduction but do not see one for Califronia"

Because it specifically is the opposite; CA is nonconforming, means, it did not agree to do the same as the Feds.

If you got PPP of $10,000 then that much in wages is not deductible as expense for CA. They are not taxing the forgiven debt as income, but they are not allowing you to also include the offsetting expense as deductible. For every other State that conforms to Fed, and for Fed, you are getting a double-benefit: not taxable income and still get to deduct the expenses.

delmarflwr2
Level 2

Thank you.

0 Cheers
PapyrusTax
Level 2

I'm trying to figure out where to enter this addback into ProSeries 1120S California.  Seems no matter what screen I add it back, it doesn't change the return.

0 Cheers
bweeks51
Level 1

I'm having the same exact problem. My client's PPP was the 2nd draw during the PPPEA after 3/31.  It needs to be included in CA income although it is excluded from Fed . Expenses can be deducted against both because of the 25% gross receipts reduction qualifications but I can't seem to get the income to be added on the CA side. 

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"but I can't seem to get the income to be added on the CA side."

There is an image here for CA additions and subtractions. See if that helps.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proseries-tax-discussions/discussion/ca-relief-grant-5000/00...

0 Cheers