Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule J

bheizer
Level 4

Has anyone else filed Schedule J for their farmers or fishermen?  The figures calculated on the worksheet doesn't make sense to me....i.e.  the worksheet for 2017 tax year figures there is no tax on $42,877 taxable income for MFJ.....If I follow the instructions for schedule J, it says to figure tax on $42,877 using the 2017 chart which I did.   I come up with $5499 and the worksheet says zero....Intuit swears they are right.  In particular I'm referring to line 7 on the schedule J.  For my client, that line says $42,877.....

The other worksheets are the same....Intuit has line 4, 8, 12 & 16 all zeros which means my client would owe no income tax......

It just doesn't seem right....

Any advice????

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
The_AntiTax_Man
Level 8

@bheizer  Did you complete the Base Year Information Worksheet ?

Caution:  For PS19 worksheet the 2018 column, Line 4 did not roll over the correct amount from PS18 tax return.  You will need to enter in the correct amount manually.

If this is your first year using Schedule J in PS20 for a particular client you will have to enter all of the Base Year Information Worksheet amounts from the taxpayer's 2017, 2018, and 2019 tax returns manually.  Double check the amounts that roll into the PS20 Schedule J Base Year Information Worksheet automatically from PS19 for accuracy.