Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule E rental losses with multiple rentals

VL
Level 1

My taxpayer has three rental properties. One was sold in 2020. I want to dispose of that rental, but when I do, the losses on the other two rentals are triggered and used. Is there any way to dispose of one rental without triggering the losses on the other rentals, which are still active? My client has a high income and has accumulated losses for years, but doesn't want to take losses on rentals that are still active.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

9 Comments 9
abctax55
Level 15

Review F 8582 and how gains on sale of properties trigger suspended losses.

Your client doesn't get to pick/choose.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
VL
Level 1

Yes, the sale of that property would trigger the suspended losses, but I have not made any grouping of the three rentals together. Why would the sale of one rental trigger losses on the others?

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Again... review Form 8582 and how it all flows.

( Generic Comment )"
Camp1040
Level 10

Passive vs Passive, doesn't matter it they are grouped, 

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

If the house that was sold was sold at a gain, you now have Passive Income.

The suspended Passive Losses are used against that Passive Income.  You don't have a choice to not use it.

VL
Level 1

Yep, I'm fine with one property generating gains that can be used to then unlock the accumulated losses for that property. What I'm facing is three rentals, all with accumulated losses. One rental is sold, yet the accumulated losses for all properties is now unlocked. I didn't sell the other properties so why do I get to use those losses?

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As I said above, you have Passive Income.

Passive Losses are generally applied against ANY Passive Income, not just the income from that specific activity (I think PTPs and/or MLPs may follow different rules).

abctax55
Level 15

"....I didn't sell the other properties so why do I get to use those losses?"

HAVE you looked at F.8582 and read the directions?  

You "get" to because that is what the law says.   And has said for a long time (1986 ?)

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Accountant-Man
Level 12

Depending on the amount of the gain on sold property A, all the losses on A will be used, even if more than the gain. Losses on B and C will only be used, proportionately, if the gain on A is more than the losses on A.

See worksheets with F8582.

** I'm still a champion... of the world! Even without The Lounge.