Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sch D - Not calculating correctly?

dude7707
Level 5

1099-B w/s shows Box A - ST Proceeds - 142,723, but when I go to Sch D ST Cap Gains - Part I - col d - Proceeds - shows 151,124 - difference - 8,401? 

Note, only have entered 59 ST transactions and have identified 3 transactions that are not found on the original 1099-B when clicking on 1b of Part I of Sch D that total 8,400.

Any idea why this is occurring?

Calling tech support tomorrow to see what they recommend, other than to start all over and re-enter transactions unless someone has another option.

Course to save time, I know one option is to enter the ST summary only on 1099-B w/s and attach 1099-B as pdf.

6 Comments 6
TAXOH
Level 11

Sorry, I don't know if this will work, but you may like to try this yourself??  If so, this is what I have done in the past.

In order to save time, I think I, and not have to call tech support, I believe I did what you are suggesting.  I just entered the very few that I was trying to fix or make disappear to get rid of the red error I was receiving.  I then subtracted those 2 or 3 from the summary totals.  I then used all those numbers, and I was able to get the red error message, and finally make it go away.. All I had to do was make a copy of the rest of the PDF and attach it.  Mine did go through fine with the IRS at that point. And then I was able to move on to the next return.  

Good luck either way!!!!

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Did you import? Importing pulls some weird stuff sometimes.

I always summarize short/long covered/noncovered.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dude7707
Level 5

No didn't import, just inserted and deleted lines......I'm thinking this is what could be the issue.

I agree, normally I do the summary method both of you have suggested and don't fool around with entering each transaction, just happen to do it on this client, normally everything works fine.

0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

@Just-Lisa-Now- Amazing!!!!   I DO THE exact Same thing as You do!!

@Dude7707@ I, Personally, at this point would be starting to get very frustrated, and I I I personally, would just try what you suggested.

HAVE a grreAt EVening at THS point the 2 of yOu?

@Just-Lisa-Now- and everyone else, now I for  all of  real have stuff to do.  I hope all of YOU have a great evening.  Good night. (ps for real this tijme)

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@dude7707 wrote:

- difference - 8,401? 

have identified 3 transactions that are not found on the original 1099-B when clicking on 1b of Part I of Sch D that total 8,400.

Are you asking where those three transactions of $8400 came from?  I assume you did not enter them?  If they don't apply, can you delete those three transactions?

Could those three transactions be coming from somewhere else on the tax return?  Business assets, rentals, K-1, etc.?

0 Cheers
dude7707
Level 5

Everyone disregard my stupid Q!  For crying out loud, as TaxGuy Bill suggested.......I went back prior to his reply and realized there was another 1099-B entered!........duh.....sorry for taking everyone's time.

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions....good night.