Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sch A line 18 check box does not work

m-l-pickens
Level 1

because of individual taxpayer circumstances, I need to itemize on Sch A so they will transfer to the state return.  The check box on Sch a line 18 does not work.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

You will find that box to check on the client worksheet....Part X.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

You will find that box to check on the client worksheet....Part X.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Officially called the Federal information worksheet   :smile::smile:

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Oh yeah.........I always say that one incorrectly. Glad you are on top of things today, Lis...
0 Cheers
m-l-pickens
Level 1
Thank you both very much
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Anytime!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

But, if you are in a state that didn't conform with the federal changes, the amounts on the federal schedule A should still transfer to the state without checking any boxes -------------------------- but maybe I'm missing something in your thought process.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
I suspect it's a situation where they pay a little more on federal and save a lot more on state.  I'm running into this a good bit on VA returns.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
That's kinda funky.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yep.  For VA I really have to look at anything where itemized deductions are in the ~$20K-24K range.  Depends on what federal tax bracket they're in and the ratio of property taxes to SALT cap.

A quick example.  MFJ TP has $10K of RE taxes and $12K of mortgage interest.  Itemizing on federal costs $2K higher TI x let's say 24% = $480.  Itemizing on VA (allowed only if itemizing on federal) saves $22K - $6K (VA SD) = $16K lower TI x 5.75% = $920.
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
It is an iisue for MD, too.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 13
Yeah.  It's worse for you since you have the local income tax rates throwing another variable into the mix.  And you have a lower SD.  So maybe start looking around $17K+ for MD residents?
0 Cheers