Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saved new client over another that has already been transmitted, anyway to recover the information of the old client?

jeanmarc
Level 3

Not sure how this happened but one of our employees accidentally saved a new client's info over the information of a client's tax return that has already been transmitted. I checked my backup file but even that has the new client's information (going to have to talk to my IT person, maybe it's somewhere else). But does anyone know offhand how to recover the old client's info? The original client tax was already transmitted and accepted by the IRS. The new client was resaved with a new file name.

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

<<maybe it's somewhere else>>
start by reviewing your home base… sometimes someone accidentally changes or deletes the last name and saves. If you’re sorting by name it won’t be where you think…. Try searching the file name….

hard to imagine overwriting a client file with another one in PS but stranger things have happened. Worst case is recreate the return… you have all the necessary documentation (and likely a pdf or paper copy of the return…. USE THE ORIGINAL FILE NAME.Mark it for efile as originally set up and then go to EF center and update the efile status of that return…. Should download the efile from the Intuit server 

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround