Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else unable to print after updating?

Happy-Tax
Level 5

After updating PS18 Professional this morning, all printing features now fail. Blank pages come out of the printer, Print Preview freezes without displaying anything, and print to PDF via the File menu produces a blank page. I've tried all the usual "fixes" (restarting, rebooting, etc.), but nothing corrects it. I'm dead-in-the-water if I can't print returns for clients to sign.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks for the head up ----------------- I don't think I will be doing any updating today.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
28 Comments 28
IRonMaN
Level 15

Thanks for the head up ----------------- I don't think I will be doing any updating today.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
@Ashley at Intuit (aka Henry Jr)

Any other reports of this?

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5
I'm on hold w/Tech Support right now. I'll post more info if we're able to get it resolved.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
Is Windows updated?  Im getting ready for a big Win update to install that will probably hold my computer hostage for an hour...Ive had weird glitches and error since I updated on Monday.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
I don't have any other reports of this that i'm aware of, but i will see if i can find anything.  Are you a network or stand-alone install?  If network, are all computers impacted, or jsut this one?  And regardless, are you able to print other things (outside of proseries)?
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
@Happy Tax I just updated and California was the only thing that updated for me and I can print normally. Im still dead with Illinois but....Fed is fine.
0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5
After about an hour of troubleshooting w/ProSeries Tech Support (REALLY nice and courteous technician), nothing has changed. My Windows 10 is up-to-date, my PS18 is up-to-date, but I have no printing functions in PS18. Yesterday, the program was working okay, although it has (and continues to have) a tendency to crash about once an hour. But today, no printing to the printer, the print to PDF under the File menu, or the print preview function. The pages that the printing functions produce are all blank, just white pieces of paper or white PDF screens. The technician checked a bunch of things, but ultimately failed to help. I don't know what to do. I guess I'll try reinstalling PS18 because I'm down to grasping at straws. My PS17 program prints just fine, and yesterday my PS18 program printed fine. I may have to try a Windows restore point. Very frustrating. In answer to someone's inquiry, all of my programs and printers are working fine with the lone exception of PS18.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
the crashing once an hour shouldn't happen....does it pop up a crash report to send in?

0 Cheers
dixie
Level 1
Same exact problem here, but just on 2 random computers in our office so far today.  Only the 1040 doesn't print (it prints the cover letter only).  Other types of tax returns are printing fine.
0 Cheers
Donnie_B_Good
Level 3
I can't print anything in PS18
0 Cheers
dixie
Level 1
Oh, and uninstall/reinstall did not help us one bit...
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Sounds like a real issue hanging out there

@IntuitRichard
@Jeff H
@Matt105

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
3 alarm fire? :fire_engine::fire_engine:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
frank
Level 1
Same here - 1040 returns only print cover page and then Proseries shuts down.  All other types of returns work fine
0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5
To answer some of the inquiries above: I'm on a standalone system, PS18. I'm unable to print any type of return (1040 or 1120-S). After the midday update a little while ago, attempting to print or PDF causes the program to crash, and I have been submitting the crash reports. I'll try my program at home later tonight. That won't fix my office computer problems, but at least it would be a little encouraging.
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I updated yesterday, everything seems to print fine...wonder what happened between what was available to update yesterday and today.

0 Cheers
tbeyor
Level 1
Same here can print letter and invoice but no tax forms.  We are on a network, and the only machine affected is the admin computer, three workstations print tax forms without any problems.
0 Cheers
dixie
Level 1
After a 2+ hrs call with support we almost had it...this is what worked: Uninstall .Net Framework Version (thru Microsoft website's download for 4.7.2 (helped on Windows 7) and reinstall thru Windows Update. Restart computer.  Check for updates on Windows update - reinstall .Net version 4.7.2 this way. Restart computer.  Install optional updates on Windows Update.
0 Cheers
mdarosa
Level 1
Same here....We need it fixed now. all workstations cannot print after major update today.....I cannot even print preview.  dont tell me no one else has reported. this is bull
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee

While I can appreciate the follow ups to this post, despite there being some print issue commonality, the experience... Your errors don't actually appear to be the same.  Therefore, I would lean toward some generalized steps...

For those of you that mention certain forms don't print

- Are the forms you're trying to print "ready for print" according to the release dates page? https://accountants.intuit.com/tax/proseries/resources/release-dates/index-18.jsp (be sure to check out both the form info section as well as the readme)

Network users where only one machine is impacted

- One machine having a different experience than others in the office indicate something environmental on that machine

- Has the computer gone thru a recent update?  Is there AV perhaps intercepting?  What is different on that machine comparison to the others?  Is it on the most current updated version of ProSeries?

If you are printing blank/white pages

- Aside from Windows update checking, you may also want to look at print driver updates to ensure that is accurate.  

- If you are printing white across PDF, physical print, print preview, it could possibly be an engine update issue with your program.  You may want to reach back out to support and get assistance in either removing previously installed updates, or doing a RENAME and then reinstall of the software, giving the ProSeries a chance to work properly in that regard.

Hope this helps.

0 Cheers
ljsmith2
Level 4
Hello,
Hopefully the following info will be helpful.

I am using a stand alone computer Windows 10, 32 bit PC desktop.
PS was printing fine earlier, then after an update for some states (PS), I no longer am able to print to my Vault or on the printer.
Other PDF's print fine. Printer is up to date.
I was sometimes getting a pop-up box that said "can not convert empty PRintList ML',
As the others have said, it just prints blank pages.
When printing to my SmartVault, it only transferred the Diagnostics page.
All forms are released and ready for print. I printed these forms earlier in the day.
Windows was checked today for updates and is currently up to date.
Checked ProSeries and it is also up to date.
Brother printer is up to date.
Also, I just tried to restarted my computer, but with the same results.
I saw another post that said i need to reinstall .NET framework...which is "to be done by an IT professional"? Think I'll pass on that right now....
Any help would be appreciated...In the meantime, I will see if I can get through to support.
0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
This is helpful, and we will review further to see if we can come up with some ideas around this.
0 Cheers
mdarosa
Level 1
I am also having the same issues. No workstation can print. it states proseries has stopped working and windows will be notified. the program then closes up.
0 Cheers
mdarosa
Level 1
Been on hold for over an hour......
0 Cheers
Happy-Tax
Level 5
I'm now at home and tried the program on my home computer. Exactly the same symptoms: With most attempts to print (either to my printer, print preview, or print to PDF on the File menu), the program simply crashes. In the instances where the program doesn't immediately crash, attempts to print yield the blank pages or white PDF pages. My computer (Win 10 standalone) is up-to-date. Yesterday (Tuesday, 1/29) the program was perfectly usable, and I prepared several returns without major issues. Today (Wednesday, 1/30), the program is simply unusable. Mainly it crashes when trying to print, but even when it doesn't crash, it doesn't print. The ONLY common denominator among these symptoms and between these two computers is today's PS18 update. There's no sense in my trying to do anything further tonight--I'll pray for a solution tomorrow.
0 Cheers
BJS
Level 1

I have windows 10 and 2017 does not print from the program only.  Everything else prints.

Now my 2018 and 2019 is not working.  I can't get tech support on the phone.

Someone please help!

BJS

0 Cheers
lovertax
Level 1

will print cover but not the tax forms just started this morning

0 Cheers
lovertax
Level 1

I found a work around for now by creating a PDF and print from it

0 Cheers