Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of Rental property / Tax dispositions

Mustapha Ratib
Level 4

Hi All,

I want to make sure I followed the right steps to dispose of Rental Property that has multiple Depreciation:

Building depreciation, Home Improvement depreciation, and Renovation cost depreciation.

At Check all that apply : I checked H: Complete Tax Disposition

Then to Assets worksheet : Dispositions: 1- entered date of disposition

,  2- Sales Price ( here I entered the total price from 1099-S

Then I went to the next asset ''Home Improvement : entered date of disposition but I entered ZERO in sales Price, and  I did the same thing for Renovation cost asset ZERO for sales Price.

Questions: is putting Zeros there the correct way, and if there is any steps I am missing?

Thanks

Mo.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, that could potentially result in the wrong amount of tax due to Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain.

You can either:

1. Allocate the sales price between the assets.  So the improvements will have an amount entered, even if it is the same as the Adjusted Basis (resulting in $0 gain/loss).
  2. For all assets enter a sales date but leave the sale price BLANK.  Then manually enter the appropriate numbers on the "Enterable 4797".

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

No, that could potentially result in the wrong amount of tax due to Unrecaptured Section 1250 Gain.

You can either:

1. Allocate the sales price between the assets.  So the improvements will have an amount entered, even if it is the same as the Adjusted Basis (resulting in $0 gain/loss).
  2. For all assets enter a sales date but leave the sale price BLANK.  Then manually enter the appropriate numbers on the "Enterable 4797".
Mustapha Ratib
Level 4

So on the Asset entry worksheet, I used the adjusted Basis of each '' for both Improvement and renovation'' which will bring them down to zero, and the difference is used to the Building. all get reflected on 4797 form.

Thanks

Mustapha Ratib
Level 4

Thanks Bill

0 Cheers