Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sale of inherited real estate.

Graceful17
Level 1

How do I report a sale of inherited real estate in Pro Series Basic?  I understand that I need date acquired, date sold, etc.  I also realize that there is an exclusion amount involved.

Glyndon L. VanWoert

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Unless the seller lived in the house for 2 out of the past 5 years, there wouldnt be any "exclusion" (assuming youre referring to IRC121), but they would get the stepped up basis at the date of death.

Sale of real estate is input using Schedule D, Im not familiar with Basic, but Sch D should be your starting point.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
BobKamman
Level 15

You can use date of death for date acquired, but I just enter "inherited" and it helps assure the sale is reported as long-term even if the property is sold shortly after death.  

George4Tacks
Level 15
Just like a sale of stock.
Long term since inherited. Get the basis for the estate valuation plus any improvement since inherited. Expense of sale from the sales escrow.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns