Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S Corp shareholder basis

Tax08
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently learned that ProSeries does not keep track of stock basis on 1040 (I previously worked with CCH Axcess). I have a client with a S corp loss, but no basis. I do not know how I should enter K-1 with the loss in ProSeries so it generates correct amounts on SCH E. How do you keep track of basis if Proseries does not. I heard that other professionals keep a separate record for basis and unused losses. Everything in taxes is about basis(it affects QBI, charitable contributions) and I am surprised that Proseries is limited in this regard. Especially that now you are required to provide basis computation with SCH E if you report a loss or receive a loan repayment from an S corp or get a distribution. What do you do in this situation? What do you attach with 1040?  Does Proseries offer any template for basis calc and unused losses? It adds so  much extra work for the tax preparer. Do you charge extra your clients for basis calc? 

I would appreciate your help.

Thank you,

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As you have seen, ProSeries is severely lacking in this regard, even to the point of negligence.  Everything must be done manually.

You need to manually calculate and input the allowable amount into the K-1 worksheet.

You need to manually create a Basis statement.

You need to manually attach a PDF of that statement to the return.

When Basis is restored, you need to manually create a second K-1 worksheet to enter the allowable carryover losses.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

As you have seen, ProSeries is severely lacking in this regard, even to the point of negligence.  Everything must be done manually.

You need to manually calculate and input the allowable amount into the K-1 worksheet.

You need to manually create a Basis statement.

You need to manually attach a PDF of that statement to the return.

When Basis is restored, you need to manually create a second K-1 worksheet to enter the allowable carryover losses.

Tax08
Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I am very disappointed that you need to do it all manually. I will probably have to look into other tax software next year. 

ccarmona1
Level 1

What a joke.  So disappointing.

That and a lack of knowledgeable customer services representatives.  I am so disappointed.  I literally pay intuit tens of thousands of dollars and I hate them.

tlpesante
Level 1

Has this been updated for 2022 Tax year or are we still doing this manually? Very time consuming and the amount of money being spent on their software is insane considering the lack of technology. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Yes, pretty much still manually.

The IRS has Form 7203 now, which is the Basis statement (which I THINK still needs to be attached as a PDF), but other than that, everything is still manual.