Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S Corp 2021 shareholder basis limitations worksheet

david3
Level 7

I am getting an error indicating I need to mark either a formal note or an open account debt in Part II Section A on the shareholder stock and debt basis limitation worksheet.

The shareholder has stock basis, even after deducting a huge loss, and he has no debt basis. I entered zeroes for the loan balances in Section A and zeroes for the debt basis in Section B hoping that would get rid of the error. The error still appears.

Why is PS requiring one of the debt boxes to be checked when there is no debt? 

What do I need to do to get rid of the error, other than checking the open account debt box?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

To clear this error in the S Corporation module, please remove the zeroes that you have entered in Part II, Sections A and B. If any values are entered or calculated in Section A or Section B (including zeroes), the program will require you to check either the Formal note or Open account debt box in Section A. If the shareholder does not have any debt basis, then no amounts should be entered in Section A or Section B, and the program will not require a box to be checked in Section A.

View solution in original post

2 Comments 2

Hello,

To clear this error in the S Corporation module, please remove the zeroes that you have entered in Part II, Sections A and B. If any values are entered or calculated in Section A or Section B (including zeroes), the program will require you to check either the Formal note or Open account debt box in Section A. If the shareholder does not have any debt basis, then no amounts should be entered in Section A or Section B, and the program will not require a box to be checked in Section A.

david3
Level 7

Thank you. That worked.