Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roth IRA Distribution

ChiHoang
Level 4

My client is 63 years old, took out $8,900 from Roth IRA which he invested for more than 5 years. On form 1099-R, distribution code is T. Why is it included in his income ? Do I need to do something in ProSeries so it's not taxable ?

Thanks,

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9

Perhaps have your client check with the financial firm that created the form? Either there is a legitimate reason for that code that is not clear or perhaps simply an error? Either way, the financial firm is likely able to clarify. 

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Youre sure its appearing as taxable income on the front of the 1040?  When I input a Code T, it doesnt show up as taxable.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

put a code Q in box 7

ChiHoang
Level 4

Yes code T, distribution shows up on line 4a and 4b. I'm working with ProSeries Basic.

Thanks for your quick response

0 Cheers
ChiHoang
Level 4

On 1099-R, it's code T. Do you suggest me to change it to code Q ? But IRS has code T, will it cause any problem ?

Thanks

following...... 

0 Cheers
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Changing to a Q will not cause a problem

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"which he invested for more than 5 years."

That's not how the various 5-year rules are stated, though.

I recommend investopedia articles, such as:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/waitingperiodroth.asp

Once you confirm everything about this scenario is qualified, you would use the applicable code and not the code from the 1099-R. Remember that the issuer only knows about the distribution, really. They don't know the entire event that transpires. For instance, they won't know about indirect rollovers.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
ChiHoang
Level 4

Got it. Thank you so much. 

0 Cheers