Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RMD received in 2019 for 2018

sbolen
Level 2

My tax client's spouse died in 2018 (age 75) and the plan administrator failed to issue his RMD for 2018 to the surviving spouse.  The error wasn't caught until 2019, when they made the distribution.  I know I need to file form 5329, but do I (1)prepare an amended return for 2018 with that form (2) just prepare form 5329 for 2018 and mail it with the waiver request or (3) somehow include this with her 2019 return? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
dd4vols
Level 10
Level 10

just do # 2... explain that the plan administrator was at fault in the waiver explanation worksheet... and that you have included the catch-up distribution as taxable income on the 2019 return.  almost guarantee you will get happy results.

If an answer solves your issue, click on the "Accept as Solution" button! Makes it easier for people to find answers to similar questions that have already been posted.