Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revising a filed return before the original due date.

bstarr001
Level 1

I filed a 2020 return for a client that forgot to tell me she had $20,000 in unemployment compensation.  Since the return isn't due until 5/17/2021 can I file Form 1040X with State amended return now?  Or wait until after 5/17/2021 and then amend?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
IRonMaN
Level 15

Since she is going to owe some additional tax, you want to do it before 5/17

Slava Ukraini!
bstarr001
Level 1

But the return isn’t due until 5/17 so do I use Form 1040X with State amended return or don’t use 1040X and just submit another 1040?

0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

1040X

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Was there a refund on the original return?  Has it been received yet?  Sometimes it's better to wait for a large refund and then pay a smaller balance due.   

It's not clear why you're asking about a state return -- is this for a state that recently changed how it deals with federal unemployment exclusion?

bstarr001
Level 1

Yes the federal return had a refund and it has been paid.  Since unemployment comp of ~$20,000 was received there's the $10,200 federal exclusion so there will be federal tax due.  Also, this is for NY and I'll have to look to see if they adopt the federal rule on excluding $10,200 or their own rule and pay NY tax.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

Ny didn’t adopt the fed exclusion (yet..... probably never. )

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround