Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return "still being processd" for 3.5 months

Greta
Level 9

I have a handful of clients who efiled over 3 months ago and still get the response that the return is still being processed. Any way to find out what's holding them up?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive had one stuck since March, Ive called PPS twice now and each time they just told me they couldnt see a reason on their end just that it wa sin review and to wait 30 days and call back if no movement...the second 30 days is almost up.  Thankfully the client is the girl I hired as my office receptionist 5 years ago, she understands there's not much I can do and shes not jumping up and down over it, but Im sure shes annoyed.  I'll be calling back again next week.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dkh
Level 15

I managed to get thru to PPS on Monday afternoon with only a few minutes hold time - wooohoo and then was disconnected after 15minutes on the line with agent - booohooo.   After third attempt  (second call answered and disconnected immediately) the agent told me my client's return that has been "in process" since March26th was flagged for an identity verification letter which never went out because of covid19 shutdown.   Since letters still aren't being sent out, my client is to call in to be transferred to dept that will do the identity verification.  I'm very doubtful that will be a smooth process.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

I have no idea if this is the problem or not (or even if this is still a problem), but somebody on another forum posted this:

Just heard from a tax preparer who received from an IRS employee a copy of an internal IRS memo revised 25 June which stated, “…accounts with Estimated Tax Payments…are temporarily being prevented from settling…, including refunds. A request has been submitted to release…refund and zero balance accounts to mitigate taxpayer hardship.”

Apparently, due to a glitch, refunds resulting from estimated payments (returns that would’ve been balance due returns without the estimated payments) will only be processed 17 August. She included an emoji of her hitting her head.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Are you signed up for IRS e-newsletters? This came in today:

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USIRS/bulletins/295fb85

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
The one I have stuck is a single person, no kids, makes 70K between 3 W2s and a little bit of interest....no reason for it to be stuck unless one of the employers didnt send in their W2s (shes a psychologist, so these aren't just mom and pop employers that dont know how to properly report payroll)....I'm going to call in to PPS again next week.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
dkh
Level 15

Thanks for that information.    Doesn't apply to this return but good to know.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Every time someone wants to know Why or What can be done, the answer is: IRS. It's pretty simple.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers