Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Rejected due to dependent social being used

Ruby_S
Level 1

I submitted a client return with their dependent daughter. I also file the daughter's taxes and I made sure I clicked she is "a dependent of someone else such as parent." When I send the parent's taxes, it is rejected because of the "previously used social security number." Is anyone else receiving this error? I have to submit these taxes to the IRS and state before Tax Day. 

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

If they have no other dependents and you filed the tax return for the daughter, you may be forced to paper file which could be a PIA due to IRS shunting paper returns/correspondences to the side. But you may not have a choice. 

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Ive seen other people mention it happening....Ive never had it happen.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
taxpro2000
Level 3

I've encountered the same issue...I also prepare the dependent's return, have the correct boxes checked & verified that the dependent's standard deduction was that of a dependent child. I am curious as to whether several people are encountering this issue due to a computer glitch or if my taxpayer's dependent's SSN has been stolen.

0 Cheers
Ruby_S
Level 1

Have you found a work around? Or will I have to send by mail?

0 Cheers
taxpro2000
Level 3

No workaround determined. My clients had to paper file.

0 Cheers