Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return rejected due to dependent being deceased.

essorley
Level 1

I have a client that has claimed her mother as a dependent for several years.  The mother lived with the client and the client was sole caregiver.  The mother passed away in May 2017.  I just completed the clients 2017 return and it is being rejected because the mother's SS# is showing that she is deceased.  Am I wrong in thinking that the client can still claim HH for 2017 claiming the mother?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abctax55
Level 15

Yep...you're wrong 🙂   The death itself wouldn't preclude claiming the exemption.

The issue is that the death (& her SSN) has been reported to SSA & IRS.  Dead folks SSN's are often snagged for identity theft/fraud - you'll need to paper file the return.   

Don't forget Form ???? explaining why you can't efile (Lacerte give a nice diagnostic to remind me of that)

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
8 Comments 8
abctax55
Level 15

Yep...you're wrong 🙂   The death itself wouldn't preclude claiming the exemption.

The issue is that the death (& her SSN) has been reported to SSA & IRS.  Dead folks SSN's are often snagged for identity theft/fraud - you'll need to paper file the return.   

Don't forget Form ???? explaining why you can't efile (Lacerte give a nice diagnostic to remind me of that)

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
essorley
Level 1
So I can paper file as head of household?
abctax55
Level 15
Depends on all the facts...all I am saying is that the SSN has been "tagged" due to death & Efiling is not an option.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Nothing in your post indicates Head of Household would be disqualified, so if the client meets the requirements, Head of Household is acceptable.
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
I just efiled 1040 for a decedent without hiccup.
abctax55
Level 15
I've had some go thru, and others rejected.   Maybe has something to do with the time line between DOD & filing?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
Marc-TaxMan
Level 8
The 2017 1040 I efiled 2 days ago died 4/2017, on 2016 extension.  efiled 2016 as deceased
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
MFJ? I have a single person who died 4/2017, on 2016 extension and I could not get the 1040 to efile. The MD return would. Deceased taxpayer returns seem to be hit or miss for efiling for me. I can't recall the last time I had one with a deceased dependent.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers