Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return failed the tax submission return validation step

JoanneM
Level 1

Anyone else getting this submission error message? IRS has been open for electronic returns since 1/23/23. i have updated, restarted and refreshed updates.. Nada!

anyone have any info on this.

0 Cheers
12 Comments 12
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

I dont see the message youre talking about, but does it mention verifying your PTIN?  There's a PTIN verification box on the Firm/Preparer section of the options, that needs to be checked

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
Bacon
Level 1

I believe I am getting the same message since I am attempting to process a 2021 return that missed the electronic filing closing date in November.  It instructs me to change the date to this year, however when I do it created another error.  Current error message reads "Description: 2022-04-16(/efile:Return/efile:ReturnHeader/efile:PrimarySignatureDt)
Error Detail:
The year of the 'PrimarySignatureDt' in the Return Header must be equal to the processing year.
Error Resolution:
This return was rejected due to incorrect signature date. Review "Date PIN entered" on the Federal Information Worksheet. The date must be in the current calendar year to efile. Ignore error messaging about the reject if necessary."

The latter message regarding Ignore error message doesn't work.

0 Cheers
Skylane
Level 11
Level 11

@IntuitGabi please help

If at first you don’t succeed…..find a workaround
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@Bacon 

This has been asked and answered dozens of times now, scroll through the group, Im sure you'll find it.

Use the correct current date.  save and exit the file.  in the EFcenter, highlight the client and click the EFNow button, on that next window choose the bottom bubble to convert and transmit and uncheck the error checking box at the bottom.  Hit OK, the next window that opens will warn you against unchecking the error box, ignore that and hit OK again....everything should file fine.

JoanneM
Level 1

Thank you- i have done these steps and Federal return gets transmitted and accepted. But MA state returns still producing this error:

Massachusetts Individual:

(54) tax year 2022 transmissions are not available. ProSeries is not ready to process tax year 2022 for this return. Not transmitted, the return(s) failed the tax submission return validation step. Please make the necessary corrections.

I called Proseries yesterday and spent an hour on the line mostly on hold and no resolution. 😕

All updates done and refreshed

0 Cheers
JoanneM
Level 1

I have checked the PTIN Box. not sure what else needs to be validated.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, the MA returns have an issue right now.   Maybe we'll hear from an Intuit person about it later today, or since its Friday, maybe not until next week.

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Hi all..here's some resources from what you listed above: 

Refer to Forms Availability to keep an eye on your desired forms. 
Click this link for Invalid Date Error for Practitioner PIN updates. 
For Error 54, refresh your updates and try again: How to refresh ProSeries updates 

Hope this helps! 

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@IntuitGabi  check the post in the Lounge about this, looks like the MA signature page was updated by the state just today, it was missing  spot for the spouse to sign.  I think thats why its getting the error, it needs to be updated.

AccountOfIt
Level 1

Same message and still no fix

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

@AccountOfIt is it all returns that give you that message, have any of them gone through? 

If its all returns and you cant EF any of them, make sure youve checked the PTIN verification box in Tools > Firm & Preparer Info

0 Cheers
bo donegan
Level 2

Colorado - attempting to amend a return, 104x.  When efiling, get an error "not transmitted, the return failed the tax submission return validation step.  Please make necessary corrections.  

Reading various posts, nothing is working, tried refresh updates, PTIN and restart.  The federal 1040x was submitted but not the state and their are no errors noted. 

so frustrating, any suggestions to correct? 

0 Cheers