Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I normally email my clients their tax returns directly from ProSeries - my name is printed but I have not actually signed their copy - is that against the law

marcyleroy
Level 1

I have a client who says it is against the law to send them a copy of their tax return that does not have my actual signature - just my printed name and is threatening to report me

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

Tell them to report you to the Canadian Mounties or whoever they are going to report you to since you aren't doing anything wrong.  A printed name works for mailing a copy to the IRS so what is good enough for Uncle is good enough for your client.  As a side note, if a client was hassling me like that they would now be a former client.

Slava Ukraini!

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
IRonMaN
Level 15

Tell them to report you to the Canadian Mounties or whoever they are going to report you to since you aren't doing anything wrong.  A printed name works for mailing a copy to the IRS so what is good enough for Uncle is good enough for your client.  As a side note, if a client was hassling me like that they would now be a former client.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
I agree, that would be an ex-client.

Notice 2004-54 says:
"This notice authorizes income tax return preparers to sign original returns, amended returns, and requests for filing extensions by means of a rubber stamp, mechanical device, or computer software program. These alternative methods of signing must include either a facsimile of the individual preparer’s signature or the individual preparer’s printed name."
https://www.irs.gov/irb/2004-33_IRB#NOT-2004-54
0 Cheers
marcyleroy
Level 1
thank you very much and yes they are now an ex client and the accountants they met with said it was illegal that the return did not have my actual signature on it
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
You're welcome.  
As a side note, something tells me the new accountants aren't exactly the cream of the crop. :smile:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
marcyleroy
Level 1
I agree, thank you.
0 Cheers
Jim-from-Ohio
Level 11
report you. lol. that pretty funny
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
"...the accountants"
What are the credentials of these "new accountants"?  
Perhaps YOU should be reporting them for their lack of professionalism :smiling_imp:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers