Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund not received.

My clients return was accepted but refund has not been received . It is almost five weeks gone. In IRS website, Where is my return shows that it is still in process. Any suggestion please. Regards.

0 Cheers
16 Comments 16
IRonMaN
Level 15

Yes - slow down and act logically.  Patience is a virtue when dealing with the IRS.

Slava Ukraini!
BobKamman
Level 15

Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
5 weeks, there nothing you can do about this. Im guessing they will probably see an ID Verification letter at some point.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

Welcome to post-corona IRS. 5 weeks is short term. Sucks yes, but 5 weeks is still somewhat short time.

rbynaker
Level 13

@garman22 wrote:

Welcome to post-corona IRS. 5 weeks is short term. Sucks yes, but 5 weeks is still somewhat short time.

Sometimes there's a good reason for it but a lot of times returns just get clogged up in processing and the guy with the keys to the Drano cabinet is working from home this month.

After a few "no good reason" refund delays last year I added a paragraph to my engagement letter this year that I call the "not my fault" section.

garman22
Level 13
Level 13

"After a few "no good reason" refund delays last year I added a paragraph to my engagement letter this year that I call the "not my fault" section."

😀 hahaha!! for sure!

rcooley25
Level 11

I agree with the other responses to this post however I would sujest you go on line to were's my refund and see if the tax return is being processed.

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

@rcooley25  I think that's what he meant when he wrote, " In IRS website, Where is my return shows that it is still in process."

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Where is my return shows that it is still in process."

Then tell your clients how Lucky they are. There are plenty of people still waiting on that status from 2020 filings. At least your clients see a current status.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

Hi BobKamman

Thanks for the reply. My all clients including those I filed later got their refund. This was the shortest and easiest return of my clients return but didn't get the refund. This is his first tax return with filling status is single. Got no child tax credit. I checked and found no error in his return. Is there any easy way to contact IRS. Thanks.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

There is no point in contacting the IRS. Even if you got a human being they would just say wait.

Ex-AllStar
qbteachmt
Level 15

"Is there any easy way to contact IRS"

You did that, already. You told us the status. You only know that status because the IRS provided it.

dkh
Level 15

First time filing.....most likely will be receiving an Identity Verification Letter.   Those shortest and easiest aren't always processed the fastest.   I

qbteachmt
Level 15

This just came in; you sign up for e-newsletters to get them.

IRS SUSPENDS MAILING

The IRS is suspending the issuance of several notices generally mailed to tax-exempt or governmental entities in case of a delinquent return. Due to the historic pandemic, the IRS hasn’t yet processed several million returns filed by individuals and entities. The suspension of the notices will help avoid confusion when a filing is still in process.

The IRS will continue to assess the inventory of pending returns to determine the appropriate time to resume mailing these notices. Some taxpayers and tax professionals may still receive the notices during the next few weeks. Generally, there is no need to call or respond to the notices as long as the return was filed timely.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

Here's another the just came in:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/reasons-why-some-tax-refunds-filed-electronically-take-longer-than-21-d...

"The IRS will contact taxpayers by mail when more information is needed to process a return. IRS phone and walk-in representatives can only research the status of a refund if it has been:

• 21 days or more since it was filed electronically (or since the IRS filing season start date – whichever is later),
  • Six weeks or more since a return was mailed, or when
  • Where's My Refund? tells the taxpayer to contact the IRS."
0 Cheers
TaxLaw
Level 4

Auto travel from Kist Germany is 20 hours 1,400 miles to Ukraine. Only 10 minutes for a bomb.

No bomb shelter so I enjoy live and love often.

Stay Safe