Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recovery rebate credit error calculation for elderly adult dependent

emcwillard
Level 3

I have a client who claimed her elderly mother as an other dependent on her 2020 taxes. The client received her first 2 stimulus checks before we filed her taxes. On the recovery rebate credit worksheet, it calculated that her first stimulus should have been $ 2400 and her second should have been $1200. I entered that she only received 1200 and 600 for her self. The recovery credit worksheet calculated that the client was entitled to an extra $1800 for her adult dependent. The IRS has already made the adjustments and is sending her the refund that she is entitled to. The program should not have calculated that the adult dependent was eligible for the recovery credit. I know there was a dependent bug earlier in the year but this tax was filed at the end of April.  I called proseries to see if it was an bug and they said that it was a tax question and they couldn't help me. 

Has this happened to anyone else?

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15
I thought adult dependents didnt qualify for the 1st EIP, but did for the 2nd...or was that only for the 3rd?

Good gawd, I cant even keep track anymore!

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers