Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery of bad debt

VPBC1
Level 3

Where to report recovery of bad debt which is being written off on Schedule D as a capital loss over the years and now has been partially recovered?

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
BobKamman
Level 15

So this was a nonbusiness bad debt that someone figured was totally worthless, which proved to be wrong.  Stop claiming it on Schedule D until it really does turn out to be worthless.  Should amended returns be filed for those years when the $3,000 (or greater amount, if applied against capital gains) was claimed?  That's a good question. Anyone?

dkh
Level 15

Disclaimer - my method may not be the "correct" way to handle.

I had client with same situation - I reduced the capital loss carryforward by amount received.  

If you don't have any capital loss carryforward, couldn't you report as Capital gain in the year received?

taxiowa
Level 9
Level 9

I am not sure you would break even doing it DKH way.  You save at ordinary income tax rate with $3,000 capital loss per year.  Then you turn around and pay income tax at the capital gain rate when you add the $3,000 or entire amount back as taxable capital gain.  IMO doesn't seem fair to replace ordinary loss with capital gain if you are correcting something.

sjrcpa
Level 15

Recoveries of bad debts are reported in the same manner as the deduction. So if the bad debt was a short term capital loss the recovery is a short term capital gain.

Ex-AllStar
PATAX
Level 15

Sjr hit the nail on the head...