Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recapture Home Office Depreciation

Garcost48
Level 2

My client has claimed a home office for a couple of years on the Schedule C, for 2019 the business has closed.  How do I recapture the depreciation we have taken over the years?

Using the 8829 Asset entry worksheet I go to the "Disposition" section and enter the date the business ended.  The programming is entering the amount we claimed as depreciation on the "Personal Residence" line but I don't see anything carrying over to the Schedule D or 4797?

Can someone assist in what I'm missing to get the recapture to appear?

Thanks

GC

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
linette
Level 5

Did they sell the home?

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

You will recapture the depreciation when the house is sold.

Ya gotta look this stuff up.

Garcost48
Level 2

No, no sale

0 Cheers
Garcost48
Level 2

Understand.  Thank you.

0 Cheers
Garcost48
Level 2

But, what happens if the sale doesn't happen in 20 years and I'm retired and no longer doing their taxes.  They surely won't remember to do this. 

Also, when the Schedule C is closed out and won't carryover to 2020 how will this be remembered?

GC

0 Cheers
Camp1040
Level 10

Paperwork!

0 Cheers
linette
Level 5

Taxpayer is responsible for knowing the rules.

Close the business and advise them there maybe recapture that needs to happen should they decide to sell the home.  It is there responsibility to keep records and pass on accordingly.

All kinds of things can happen.